Among the wide variety of berry varieties Monterey strawberries are very popular, because it won the hearts of many gardeners amateurs with its unique ability to bear fruit until autumn with a good harvest, which is distinguished by its high taste. The description and characteristics of this variety are presented below.
General information about the variety and its characteristic features
The remontant Monterey variety was bred by American breeders at the University of California in 2001 when crossing the popular Albion with special selection Cal 97.85-6. Registered as a separate variety in 2009.
Biological description of the Monterey strawberry
The bushes of the plant are distinguished by their vigor and great vigor of growth, therefore, when growing, they require more planting space than other varieties. The bushes are decorated with a moderate amount of foliage, which has a bright green color with a beautiful shine. The culture during the growing season can form up to 14 peduncles, on which the harvest will be formed in the future.
The bush bears fruit of the correct shape, pointed towards the end. Large dark red berries have a shiny, glossy surface. The average weight of each is approximately 30 grams, and with good care - 40 grams.
Monterey is considered to be a mid-early variety. Flowering begins in early May and lasts until frost. With proper care and favorable climatic conditions, Monterey strawberries have a high and high-quality yield. This variety of strawberries bears fruit in several stages - up to four harvests can be harvested per season.... The most delicious berries are observed during the second wave of fruiting. More than 500 grams of delicious and juicy berries can be harvested from each bush.
Fruiting can last a whole year when grown in greenhouse conditions.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Before you start planting a variety, you need to study its advantages and disadvantages. The Monterey strawberry has many advantages that distinguish it from all other types of culture.:
- berries are very sweet, practically melt in the mouth, although they have a strong hardness;
- fruits do not lose their presentation and perfectly endure long transportation;
- when frozen do not lose shape and remain juicy and firm;
- has a very good yield;
- with excess or insufficient moisture does not lose its juiciness and sweetness;
- strawberries are not particularly painful and tolerates adverse climatic conditions well;
- does not give a lot of mustache, which is quite convenient, since all the forces of the bush will be directed to the formation of the crop;
- are great choices as in production useand for home.
When choosing this variety, it should be borne in mind that it has several disadvantages.:
- a lot of space is required for planting, the culture does not tolerate thickening and may die;
- in hot weather may blush ahead of time and not have time to gain the necessary weight;
- average winter hardiness, therefore, requires shelter for the winter and early spring.
Agrotechnical methods for growing
Planting Monterey strawberries should be between July and September. How seedlings are used by the offshoots of mother bushes - antennae... Many resort to seed propagation, because the variety gives a small number of shoots, since all the nutrients are directed to the growth of berries.
Under the strawberry beds, you need to allocate a well-lit area so that the sun illuminates the bushes for at least six hours a day. An alkaline soil, a slightly acidic substrate, is well suited for this variety. It is important that the soil is drained and aerated.
Step-by-step planting process
- Two months in advance before landing, you should rid the soil of weeds and fertilize, since the high yield and activity of the variety requires a large amount of nutrients.
- Make landing pitsexceeding the size of the root system of the plant. The optimal planting pattern is 40 x 50 cm.
- Place the plant so that the roots do not bend and are completely covered with soil. The length of the roots when planting should be no more than 20 cm.
- Fill gently with soil, so that the growing point is not covered with soil, in order to avoid decay of the basal buds and carefully tamp;
- Upon completion of the planting process, water and mulch around the bushes, which will maximize the preservation of nutrients and the required moisture level.
Repair strawberries are not grown like regular strawberries. Therefore, it is worth studying all the rules and nuances when landing.
A set of care measures
After planting, you need to monitor soil moisture and the presence of weeds. Strawberry Monterey needs the following care measures:
- Loosening the soil... Such soil cultivation activates biological processes and will contribute to the flow of sufficient air into the soil, which is needed for the growth and nutrition of the root system.
- Watering... The plant needs frequent and regular watering, especially in hot weather. Water contributes to the saturation of strawberries with juice, which significantly improves the taste.
- Top dressing... The plant is responsive to good nutrition, which can serve as mineral and organic feeding. Until the moment when organic substances are synthesized into the plant in sufficient quantities, it is necessary to carry out foliar enrichment with nutrients. It is also necessary to carry out root dressing every month using liquid complex fertilizers for berries;
- Weeding... The soil should be regularly freed from weeds so that the growth of the bush does not slow down and the quality of the fruits does not suffer. If you neglect weeding, then in the end you can get small berries;
- Sun protection... During the period when the sun shines too intensely, additional protection is required in the form of a shelter with white agrofibre or mulching the soil with straw;
- Disease and pest control... The variety has good resistance to disease and pest attacks. Regularly examining the beds for signs of disease and parasite accumulation will help to quickly take appropriate action if they are found.
- Shelter for the winter... The variety is not frost-resistant, and extreme cold can lead to problems with the development of plants and their productivity. Therefore, you should prepare the bushes for winter by covering them with organic mulch or spunbond.
Caring for Monterey strawberries is simple, but the quality of the crop and the number of fruits depend only on it. To avoid problems with yields, you should adhere to all the rules of cultivation and not neglect the advice.
Diseases and pests
Monterey strawberries are very persistent and do an excellent job of all diseases except powdery mildew. In the case of this disease, there is a high probability of losing the entire crop, so a decision must be made immediately:
- tear off leaves and peduncleswho have been affected by the disease;
- carefully get rid of the topsoilbecause the colonies of the mycelium fungus are located on the ground and, if they are not removed, the disease will soon begin to progress again;
- use chemicalsby applying them to the strawberries with a sprayer.
A dangerous pest of strawberries is a nematode. You can get rid of it only with the help of special chemicals. To protect the culture from the pest for prevention, you need:
- before boarding flush the ground with mortar from five tablespoons of salt dissolved in five liters of water;
- disinfect purchased seedlings special solutions;
- on freshly blossomed leaves apply a little Bordeaux liquid;
- do not plant strawberry bushes next to potatoes, since these worms most often live on it;
- periodically fertilize with manurebecause such an environment is destructive for worms.
When using chemicals, carefully read the instructions and strictly observe the consumption rates and terms of the last processing before harvesting.
The Monterey variety is perfect even for novice gardeners and will delight all lovers of eating a natural product with its excellent taste. If you plant the bushes correctly and take good care of them, then as a result you can get a rich harvest of useful and juicy berries.
Strawberry variety Monterey
Repairing strawberry varieties are always in great demand. Each gardener tries to plant at least one such variety on the site in order to be able to pick berries before the first autumn frosts. The Monterey strawberry is considered an excellent variety to grow for food, processing, or sale. All its features, the external qualities of bushes, berries, are presented in this article.
Features of Strawberry Monterey
The variety is medium early and has the following characteristics:
- strong powerful bush
- large leaves
- long period of fruiting
- a lot of harvest.
Flowering begins in early May until autumn frosts.
Breeding and growing conditions
Monterey belongs to the remontant varieties. This variety of strawberries was bred by employees of the University of California, USA in 2001. Albion was used as a genitive form. The following years the plant was tested and observed, by 2009 the strawberry was patented and registered in Watsonville.
Areola cultivation - areas with mild climatic conditions such as Europe, Belarus, Russia, Ukraine.
The berry adopted the best taste from the genitive form. The yield level of Monterey is much higher than that of Albion. Breeders recommend growing the plant in open and protected soil.
Botanical description of the bush and shoots
The bush is distinguished by its vigor, moderate number of leaves and tendrils. The leaves are large, light green, with a glossy sheen and regular shape. Due to the large size of the sheets, the berries are planted away from each other. The rhizomes are developed, strong, the berries expand towards the stalk and taper towards the bottom.
Flowering and fruiting
The plant has strong, tall peduncles, which, when fruits ripen, tend to the ground. There are many peduncles - up to 15 pieces, which allows many fruits to set. Strawberries bloom from early May to late October.
Fruiting occurs in waves, in just a season strawberries bear fruit 4 times.
With spring planting, harvest can be expected already in August. By the second year, the amount of fruiting will increase. The berries weigh from 25 to 40 g. 0.5 - 2 kg of strawberries are harvested from one bush per season.
The value of berries and their further implementation
Strawberries have an excellent, harmonious taste with a sweet and sour aftertaste. The flesh of Monterey is softer than that of its parent, Albion. Due to their dense structure, the berries are not damaged during freezing. For this reason, they are excellently transported over long distances.
The fruits are multifunctional - they can be eaten fresh, frozen, made with them jam, juices, jams, marmalade, alcoholic tinctures. The cultivation of strawberries for commercial purposes is quite successful. A bountiful harvest will bring good profits.
The variety has good immunity to all fungal pathologies and infections, including powdery mildew. It is important not to forget that due to timely high-quality preventive treatments, the appearance of diseases and pests can be prevented.
Monterey has an average winter hardiness and frost resistance. Many gardeners cover the plant in winter and spring for reassurance. Strawberries tolerate hot weather without difficulty, especially the berries are saturated on sunny days. Drought tolerance is average, the plant will not disappear from lack of moisture, but the quality of the crop will deteriorate and its quantity will decrease.
Mid-season strawberry varieties
An Italian strawberry variety that is considered mid-season. Harvesting takes place once a week, due to the fact that the fruits ripen slowly. The first fruits can be expected in mid-June.
The bush is small, moderately spreading. Inflorescences are located just above the foliage. The flowers themselves are large. The color of the berries is orange-red, with a strong shine characteristic of strawberries. Weight ranges from 28 to 39.7 grams. The taste of ripe fruits is sweet, juicy, slightly reminiscent of wine.
Average yield allows to collect about 220 centners of berries from one hectare.
This type of strawberry is considered winter hardy. Excellent transportability, most commonly grown commercially.
Large-fruited variety of garden strawberries, medium ripening. It is grown on fertile, prepared soil, saturated with useful substances. Despite the fact that the "Queen" is drought tolerant, it needs frequent watering. They need to be carried out regularly in order to get a rich harvest.
The bushes are slightly spreading, medium-sized. The leaves are large, green in color. The mustache is strong, thick, light brown in color. The mustache is slightly downy. The flowers are large, with a characteristic white color, located on powerful fruit-bearing plants under the foliage.
The berries are large, shiny, with a regular conical shape. The color of ripe fruits is dark red. The average berry weight is 12 grams, but with proper care and during the first harvest it can reach 40 grams. The yield is quite high, it allows you to collect more than 1 kg of berries from one square meter.
They have soft, juicy, red flesh, with sourness. The aroma is pronounced, memorable. The seeds are yellow, slightly immersed in the berry.
Resistant to popular strawberry diseases and pests. Drought and winter hardy. But when the frosts exceed 15 degrees, the kidneys can be damaged.
Mid-season strawberry, obtained in Italy and managed to gain recognition in many European countries. This variety has many advantages and specific features. The plant is small, vigorous, with developed green foliage.
The berries are large - up to 35 grams each fruit. The shape is conical, long, slightly flattened. But this does not prevent her from being attractive and appetizing. The color is bright red, and the taste is rich, sweet. Density is good, its structure is similar to the pulp of a watermelon. Ripens in June.
Frost-resistant plant showing good results in yield - up to one and a half kg from one bush. Saplings do not succumb to the influence of spotting and diseases of the root system, but are affected by powdery mildew and anthractosis.
This variety was invented by crossing two well-known strawberry varieties: "Festival Chamomile" and "Surprise Olympics". The bush is semicircular, slightly spreading. Short but powerful. The foliage is slightly concave and moderately bubbly. A small amount of mustache. Inflorescences are medium, located just above the leaves. The flowers are relatively small, the inner calyx in which is larger than the outer one.
The fruits are oval-conical, red in color. The pulp of a ripe berry is juicy and dense. The taste of the berry is sweet with a slight sourness. Large berries - from 30 to 40 grams.
The variety gives consistently high yields: from 1 square meter, up to 1.3 kg of berries can be harvested.
Shows resistance to mites and gray rot, but is affected by brown and white leaf spot. A winter-hardy variety of strawberries.
Bred by Italian breeders.The plant has a good yield: with excellent care, you can collect up to 1 kg per bush, and about 16 tons per hectare. The bush is medium-sized, with a lot of whiskers and shoots. The leaves are dark green.
The berry is medium in size, sometimes large with a weight of 25 to 30 grams. The shape of the fruit is correct, conical. The end is slightly pointed. During collection and transportation, it does not deform and does not flow. The color is red, uniform with a characteristic luster of the surface. The taste is memorable, sweet.
Repair Strawberry Monterey
The minimum order amount on the website is UAH 200.
Strawberry Monterey is a large-fruited remontant strawberry that was bred in California by crossing Albion and special selection (Cal 97.85-6). Monterey berries have a deep dark red color of medium size, have an oblong shape, large with a pleasant aroma. The gloss on the fruits of this remontant variety is poorly expressed. The berries are dense, suitable for long-term storage (up to 5 days) and for transportation over long distances.
The Monterey neutral day strawberry has established itself as a remontant variety with a high yield and resistance to high summer temperatures. Monterey is 30-35% more productive than the Albion variety.
You can find out more about this and other goods by phone
You can always buy the Repairing strawberry Monterey, Seedling of strawberry, and also buy Seedlings of berry bushes at the best price in the online store "BaTanya".
Features of agricultural technology
Even a beginner will be able to grow Andreas strawberries, since caring for it is not much different from other varieties of remontant garden strawberries. The main thing is to take into account agrotechnical standards.
First, you need to prepare a fertile bed with the introduction of peat, humus, compost or mineral fertilizers.
Secondly, when planting strawberries of the San Andreas variety between bushes, there should be at least 30 cm, in row spacings up to 40. It is better to plant seedlings in the fall. Plants are well watered, and the soil is mulched.
Then the landing needs to be updated.
Thirdly, as gardeners note in the reviews, the San Andreas strawberry variety has a high need for watering and feeding. Does not tolerate the slightest drought. The drip irrigation system will help to solve the problem of drying out the beds.
Moreover, even a beginner does not have any special problems with its installation. The simplest drip irrigation can be organized using conventional hoses, as shown in the photo below. How is it more convenient? All strawberry crops disapprove of wetting leaves, flowers and fruits with water. No matter how carefully gardeners use a watering can, strawberries cannot be avoided getting wet.
For the winter, beds in the open field are sheltered from frost. The degree of shelter will depend on the climatic conditions.
Based on the description of the botanical properties and characteristics of the variety, during the growing season and during the preparation of plants for wintering, regular feeding is necessary. These are both minerals and organic matter.
Although in recent years, gardeners have been trying to move away from mineral fertilizers, preferring organic fertilizing. But that's not the point. The main thing is to feed the San Andreas variety several times per season, starting in early spring. According to the description, strawberries bear fruit several times over the summer, the soil is depleted.
Video tips on how to feed strawberries without chemicals:
San Andreas strawberries can be successfully grown in a greenhouse, especially if you are cultivating on an industrial scale. Who does not want to have such a harvest of large-fruited remontant strawberries, as in the photo below. There is something to be proud of!
Care for mature bushes
Competent care of Geneva strawberry bushes consists of:
- loosening the soil and mulching (straw, agrofibre)
- plentiful regular watering, better drip (the variety has a superficial arrangement of roots)
- feeding (very important after the first harvest)
- timely treatment against pests and diseases
- weeding rows, removing excess whiskers and reddened leaves.
Pruning of the remontant variety "Geneva" can be omitted so that the plant does not lose its vitality.
To prevent freezing, the ridges are covered with straw before winter. Many gardeners practice the cultivation of strawberries of the "Geneva" variety in greenhouses, especially in regions with a cool climate. This makes it possible to collect the second wave of ripe berries in full.